MCC SALT Tanzania

I am volunteering in Musoma, Tanzania until July 2009 with a MCC (Mennonite Central Committee) program named SALT: Serving and Learning Together. SALT is a unique year-long cross-cultural immersion experience for Christian young adults from the United States and Canada. (For further information, go to http://mcc.org/salt/)

I am working as an ESL Teacher at the Mennonite Theological College of Eastern Africa. The College offers a unique two-year certificate or three-year diploma program for church and community leaders in the region. As part of my placement, I will be taking on various other projects to be decided upon my arrival.




Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Moving Day Has Finally Arrived

I am finally living with my host family in the most beautiful room in all of TZ! I have been staying in the MCC Guest House on campus since my arrival and shuttling back and forth for meals with my host family. When my host family agreed to take me in, they did not have a room ready for me and hoped to renovate the small building in back of their house within a month. Things took a bit longer than planned but I am absolutely thrilled that it all came together before the end of the year.

I spent the morning of working on my final exams before checking things out at lunch. My host father assured me I could pack my things and move later that afternoon. I took him at his word and packed my bags as soon as I finished teaching and waited out an unexpected rain shower/ thunder storm. The first break in the weather, I rolled my faux-leather suitcases across the soccer field to the great amusement of the local boys. I'm sure it must have been quite the sight to behold! My host sisters helped me and I was settled in and unpacked by dinnertime.

My room's walls and ceilings are painted white with a bright blue trim around the bottom; two glass paned windows on either side of the room, one with a view of Lake Victoria, give a nice cross breeze; my own private showering area complete with shower curtain; bright yellow and red curtains; large single bed and a desk for me to work at – pure luxury!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey habibti, your new digs sound gorgeous! presently i am freezing my tail off in our cement dungeon--never knew the desert could get so cold, but i'm glad you're warm and happy, and look forward to our next communication. Happy Advent, and have a great break. your beduoin friend.