MCC SALT Tanzania

I am volunteering in Musoma, Tanzania until July 2009 with a MCC (Mennonite Central Committee) program named SALT: Serving and Learning Together. SALT is a unique year-long cross-cultural immersion experience for Christian young adults from the United States and Canada. (For further information, go to http://mcc.org/salt/)

I am working as an ESL Teacher at the Mennonite Theological College of Eastern Africa. The College offers a unique two-year certificate or three-year diploma program for church and community leaders in the region. As part of my placement, I will be taking on various other projects to be decided upon my arrival.




Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas Plans

My first semester of teaching is behind me, my marking is complete, and final grades have been submitted. These past two weeks have flown by as I prepared for the next semester, got creative planning the Games for our upcoming team retreat, and edited a project proposal. My original plan had been to leave today but it fell through at the last minute and, instead, I will be enjoying the comforts of a local bus first thing tomorrow morning. I'm off to visit one of our MCC families in the nearby village of Mugumu. They are working on an MCC-supported HIV/Aids program and I hope to write some of the content for their upcoming program website while I'm there.

A week from now, we'll be on our way to Nairobi for a retreat with all the MCC and EMM (Eastern Mennonite Missions) service workers of East Africa. Among them will be several other SALTers currently serving in Ethiopia and Uganda. I'm excited about exchanging experiences and stories with them as we look back on the first four months of our service time.

Many of you already know but for those of you who don't, Dan is coming to visit me for two weeks and arrives in Nairobi at the tail end of our retreat. Once our team meetings are finished, our MCC TZ Team will spend a week in Tanga (located on the Tanzanian coast) relaxing on the beach, snorkeling, hiking, and doing other touristy things. Dan and I hope to fly from Dar es Salaam to Musoma and spend a few days with my host family so he can meet everyone and see the school where I teach and the place I'll be calling home for this year. As you can well imagine, I've been counting down the days and becoming more excited with every passing day. This will be an unforgettable Christmas!

Please pray for travel mercies over the next month as all our team members meet up in Nairobi before driving out to Tanga and returning to our assignment locations by car, by bus, and by plane.

No comments: