MCC SALT Tanzania

I am volunteering in Musoma, Tanzania until July 2009 with a MCC (Mennonite Central Committee) program named SALT: Serving and Learning Together. SALT is a unique year-long cross-cultural immersion experience for Christian young adults from the United States and Canada. (For further information, go to http://mcc.org/salt/)

I am working as an ESL Teacher at the Mennonite Theological College of Eastern Africa. The College offers a unique two-year certificate or three-year diploma program for church and community leaders in the region. As part of my placement, I will be taking on various other projects to be decided upon my arrival.




Thursday, October 9, 2008

Rain Rain Come Again…Rain Rain Go Away

As I write, my freshly washed laundry is receiving a second cleaning in the current downpour. The rainy season has definitely arrived, accompanied by the usual claps of thunder and blinding lightning bolts. "When it rains, it pours" is a good way to describe the amounts of water we are receiving. My host family has already filled every available container to overflowing. Last night, I was in the middle of a phone conversation when the rain began to fall. The roof is made of metal sheets and there are no ceiling tiles to even dull the pounding noise from up above. Ear plugs seem to be called for. I am loving the cooler weather, now hovering around 25 degrees instead of the usual 30 to 35.

I went for a walk early this morning with my youngest sister Clara as my guide. She and I have decided to make a habit out of our Saturday morning excursions. The area is beautiful with lots of paths to follow to the lake or up the many hills and local rock formations. After breakfast, my mother insisted on washing my clothes for me. She didn't want me re-injuring myself after last Saturday's results - I managed to rub the front of my fingers raw. Not so pleasant. So now I've been relegated to watching her and trying to do my smaller 'personal effects'. My father keeps repeating that I have to learn kidogo kidogo (little by little).

Prayer Request: Our resident permits are still being processed. Theo (the College Principal) flew the paperwork to Dar es Salaam on Monday but unfortunately was unable to complete them. The Muslim holiday marking the end of Ramadan occurred on Wednesday and Thursday, a public holiday that closed any and all businesses. We are hoping they will be ready some time this coming week.

No comments: