MCC SALT Tanzania

I am volunteering in Musoma, Tanzania until July 2009 with a MCC (Mennonite Central Committee) program named SALT: Serving and Learning Together. SALT is a unique year-long cross-cultural immersion experience for Christian young adults from the United States and Canada. (For further information, go to http://mcc.org/salt/)

I am working as an ESL Teacher at the Mennonite Theological College of Eastern Africa. The College offers a unique two-year certificate or three-year diploma program for church and community leaders in the region. As part of my placement, I will be taking on various other projects to be decided upon my arrival.




Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Quick Guide: The Ins and Outs of Daily Life

If there is no running water, you… bike it up from the lake:
The community pump for Nyabange broke down several months ago and no one has been able to organize the villagers to pay for repairs. In the meantime, the situation has created a burgeoning business among bike owners who strap large yellow buckets (two to five at a time) onto the back sides of their bikes and cart up litres of water from Lake Victoria on a daily basis, dropping off their heavy loads at the doorsteps of the local population for a small fee. The existing indoor plumbing is out of order for the near future and, as a result, I have quickly learned to make the most of 'cup and bucket' showers and the closest outhouse.

Before and after every meal, you… wash your hands:

My parents would be so proud: I'm finally learning to wash my hands before and after every meal. At first, I found this to be somewhat of a nuisance until I realized that most people eat part or all of their meal by hand. This includes the mainstay of the Tanzanian diet, ugali: a thick cream of wheat/ porridge made from cooking ground maize and water. Most households have a wash stand next to the dinner table. It consists of a bucket with warm water, a bar of soap, and a second container to catch the used water.

When common household appliances are missing, you… make due:

For the duration of my stay in Nyabange, I will be washing my clothes by hand. I was forewarned but, for some reason, it didn't sink in until I was sitting in front of a bucket of water and a pile of dirty clothes. I watched as Agnes soaked the clothes and demonstrated the best techniques for washing. Let me tell you, it is not easy. You have to bend from your waist down (I gave in and accepted the stool that was offered) and rub the clothes with your right hand/ wrist against your left. After a while, your back is sore and your wrists are aching. Agnes reassured me that within a few months, I'll have built up enough stamina to do a whole load on my own!
No stoves mean fires for cooking. The locals use small 'jikos' that pots and pans are balanced on top of while charcoal fires are lit underneath and fanned into flames. Most women are up by 6 in the morning to make certain that breakfast is ready on time and warm water for bathing is available. Breakfast is served by 7:30am – chai ya maziwa or chai rangi (tea with milk or black tea), bread, honey, boiled eggs. Lunch at 1:00pm and Supper at 7:00pm or later – various varieties of starch (ugali, rice, potatoes, pasta in that order), a meat dish (usually fish or beef), seasonal vegetables and fruits, and pineapple avocado juice (you have to try it – it's quite delicious!).

No comments: