MCC SALT Tanzania

I am volunteering in Musoma, Tanzania until July 2009 with a MCC (Mennonite Central Committee) program named SALT: Serving and Learning Together. SALT is a unique year-long cross-cultural immersion experience for Christian young adults from the United States and Canada. (For further information, go to http://mcc.org/salt/)

I am working as an ESL Teacher at the Mennonite Theological College of Eastern Africa. The College offers a unique two-year certificate or three-year diploma program for church and community leaders in the region. As part of my placement, I will be taking on various other projects to be decided upon my arrival.




Thursday, September 18, 2008

Extreme Safari

I have arrived at my final destination - the Mennonite Theological College of East Africa, located just outside Musoma, in Nyabange. It was a long safari (journey) filled with car trouble, exotic animals, and pot-holed 'roads'. Although we left at a reasonable hour, our progress was slowed by some trouble Curtis and Carla were having with their vehicle, something about a leaky fuel tank. Once they heard funny noises coming from under the hood, they decided to turn around and head back to Arusha to get it fixed. Mike, T, and I continued on to Mugumu, driving first along the Ngorogoro crater, then across the vast Serengeti.

It was absolutely fascinating! Animals I've only seen at zoos or in books were running across the road or looking bored as we passed by - water buffalo, hippos, giraffes, ostriches, antelope, monkeys,... We didn't have much time to stop and observe along with the other tourist types but it gave us a taste of the year to come. The roads were bumpy at best and washed out at times. We had the truck in four-wheel drive almost the whole way and the locals just watched us skitter along, trying desperately to stay on track. Lack of street lights and signage makes driving at night nearly impossible so the boys drove as fast as they dared before the sun disappeared. We made it to Mugumu with a few minutes to spare before total darkness set in.

The journey provided a cross-section glimpse into the extreme changes in landscape although the living conditions remain similar: mud huts scattered between brick buildings, cows and goats herded through the countryside by young boys, women carrying jugs of water on their heads, men huddled in circles around checker/ chess boards, people pushing bikes loaded with goods to sell at the local market,...

We met Theo, the College Principal, and several other staff members and enjoyed a short tour of the campus - it has wonderful views of Lake Victoria. They are in the process of renovating various buildings and completing the women's dormitory. We met Theo's wife, Agnes, and their three children, William, 6, Joyce, 3, and Lucille, 5 months. I haven't quite processed the fact that I've finally arrived at my assignment location; it only started to sink in as we wandered the streets of downtown Musoma. I'm looking forward to being in a routine and settled in with my host family. I'm discussing my teaching schedule with Theo and the Dean of Students this afternoon and meeting my host family later today. And finally unpacking my suitcases!

Thank-you for all of the emails - this is the first time I've had access to the internet in five days and my inbox was bursting with new mail! I love hearing from all of you and getting the latest news from home. Thank-you!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I found your blog! Woot! Sounds like things are going great--but that you haven't had a long taste of your new home yet. I hope to hear about that too. I've been in my placement since August 20something...it's crazy! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Wow- sounds amazing, Ver! You're so descriptive... for a second I thought I was in the car with you... and then Landon howled because he bonked his head on the floor while trying to slither out of bed without me noticing...sigh... miss you!!